Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama wins!

WOW, WOW, WOW last night was amazing. I had a class until about 8:55 and just couldn't wait for the text message updates that I insisted Amelia send every half hour or so. It was a crazy night. We were up until about 1am reveling in the enormity of this. Lots of crying was done in our household as I'm sure there was in a lot of others, this was unbelievable.

Being raised in Georgia it was no big deal to hear the N word around your neighborhood or house. It was no big deal to point out trees where it was rumored slaves had been hung, it was no big deal to assume you were better because of the color of your skin...and I always felt like something was wrong with all of that. As I grew up I knew it was wrong and never engaged in it again and will teach our daughter that it is never OK to call people names or assume you are better. With Barack as president I know that this will make that lesson easier for her to understand. When she sees the emotions from the public over for the next four years (hopefully eight) she will understand what our country stands for.

I know that all of our racial prejudices cannot be erased with a single day of voting but I do know that we are on our way and to be a part of that felt so good.

Yesterday I voted for the first African American president of the United States and today I will put some front pages of major newspapers in G's memory box because I never want her to forget that this is her world, a much different world than any of us has ever experienced. Personally, I am so ready for this ride.

Congratulations, Mr. Obama, Mr. President!

No comments: