Saturday, September 19, 2009

Julie & Julia

Last night I finished reading Julie & Julia. I should have known better. I had tried to read this book awhile back when it first came out, before all of the hoopla with the movie, etc...and I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But once all the hoopla did hit I decided to try again. Usually if I start a book and can't stand it I force myself to finish it, chalking it up to a learning experience. With Julie & Julia I couldn't even force myself to do that, in fact it was a turning point for me ever since my first attempt at reading it and giving up I've been able to put books down that I know I am going to eventually hate or that I just cannot get through...so thanks Julie.

But on to the book. I hated it. I will say that it got much better, funnier, more realistic about halfway through. OK maybe hate is too strong of a word. I didn't hate it, I was just really disappointed. When I first heard about it, the book and the blog I thought DAMN what a fantastic idea...why didn't I think of that. I had high hopes, imagined hilarity ensuing on every page but what I really got was a woman who hates her job, hates everyone she works with, everyone she encounters, and everything it seems about her life except maybe her husband and crazy friends. She came off as arrogant and above it all. She never really told us why she was doing this, even when it seemed that she'd go crazy attempting to stick to her deadline. All in all I'm pissed that I wasted my time. I'm pissed that I really wanted to see the movie but now I could care less about seeing it. All in all I could have read better...and Julie if you read this, now that you have a big movie/book deal maybe you can give me my $16.00 bucks back.

No comments: